Skip to main content

The Patterns Of Fairytales



Saturday 1st June 


I woke up early. 7.32am....well early for me. I packed my last things up and made my way via a lift from my mother to Bournemouth station. It was time to head to London for the first time since September last year for the same reason as September last year....to see The National. After a year of university that has flattered to deceive it felt necessary to enjoy something at the end of it. Ironically on the same day as the SUBU summer ball where many of my course mates had gone with

Their friends to send off the first year of university. It in a different manor I had chosen to do the same by heading to Victoria Park, Hackney, to do the same. I arrived at London Waterloo at around 10.50 and headed for Canary Wharf, there I met my contact for the next 22 hours C. Downs. We travelled via DLR and tube to Hoxton for lunch. Mestmission was the place and we both ordered “Towerblock” Burgers. They were nice. Soon we found ourselves in a Wetherspoons (As if by pure destiny) then it was time to head to Victoria park for the gig/festival/dunno. We arrived and as I got my ticket for inspection I realised the guy who was scanning my ticket was from my old course at Southampton (Music journalism) who had just finished his third year.... a reminder to me of how quickly time goes as you get older....


Upon arrival we had a quick look around the “festival site” it wasn’t big. We compared perhaps unfairly to Glastonbury having both been veterans of the Somerset festival three times. We sat at an abandoned bench while Warpaint played and discussed politics and security. It was soon time for Philadelphia kings The War on Drugs to play their set. Adam Granduciel would once again despite not being helped by the festivals sound set up show his mastery of lead guitar. We watched while they played yet another dazzling set before it was time to head to the other stage, known as the east stage for The National. 


Curt decided he was hungry and was tempted by haloomi fries. However the length of the cue would prove too much for the 25 year-old hipster. We waited for The National patiently and they soon appeared. Matt Berninger, maybe the coolest man in the world right now fronting them. The 47 year-old both me and Curt decided was infect cooler than us (but that’s not difficult to achieve...) The National Played another great set, which seemed to act as some kind of soundtrack to one couple who appeared to have had a massive falling out or a break up. A man in a white shirt furious one moment, crying into his mates arms the next was difficult to watch but seemed adequate with songs by the National such as ‘Graceless’ playing so unintentionally ironically in the background. We then were treated to Adam Granduciel from the war on drugs joining The National on stage a sight so rare and so surreal me and Curt were stunned. We joked it wouldn’t be long before Kurt Vile zip wired in with his guitar to join Granduciel, Berninger and co on stage. 


Soon it was time to head home. By which I mean Curt’s flat located somewhere on

The isle of Dogs. (Ironically I didn’t see any dogs during my stay) we eventually got back after being ignored by a bus. Curt went to bed and I slept on the sofa, knowing I had an early start the next day.




Sunday 3rd June 


I woke up at 7.32am on the Sunday. It was a quick process I packed my stuff up said ciao to Curt and left for The DLR. Eventually I made it to Tower something tube station and eventually to Victoria where I got the Gatwick express. I was soon at Gatwick and took the shuttle bus which was packed.....to the north terminal, I made it through security and headed straight for the nearest Spoons. I wanted to get there early in order not to miss the flight or leave it too late, but I ended up being 4 hours early....I walked around the expensive shops and cafes probably about 15 times before I killed any kind of time and just as I thought too myself “yay only an hour and a half to go” I got a message on my easyJet app saying there was a delay. Anyway long story short I eventually got the plane and landed in Pisa. I then got a taxi to Pisa Centrale. Last year when I was in Pisa a taxi driver through my mother’s handbag, nearly crashed into parked cars, squared up to my brother and swore at us in Italian, so I wasn’t expecting a grade top of the range service, what I did get was a different kind of Italian taxi driver psychopath, one who was angry more at other Italian taxi drivers. Shouting angrily at a Taxi for being parked in a Taxi rank; the fare came to 9, I have the guy 10 and left. I then asked the ticket office lady for a ticket to Florence SMN (Santa Maria Novella) to which she then went mental after I didn’t hear her the first time, shouting “oggi o domani, today or tomorrow” too which I could only respond in stark naked English “well today.....to which she gave me the ticket shaking her head like I’d just told her I killed someone, I couldn’t help but add in Italian “dai oggi, ovviamente....”. I left before she could respond. 


Soon I was on the train a largely uneventful journey except for me interjecting to stop 2 clearly British sisters from getting off at the wrong Florence station. They were grateful I hope.... I headed to my air bnb accommodation a nice big double room with an en suite bathroom near Porta Al Prato about 20 minutes walk from the historic centre from the city. After resting for an hour I headed out to the Ponte Vecchio, a beautiful romantic spot where two years ago I kissed my at the time girlfriend Megan. I got back there and remembered the moment before finally putting to rest the past and thinking about the future. I strolled to the piazza signora and saw the palazzo vecchio whilst thinking of someone else (not Megan) a French lady I’ve recently met. Soon I realised I was bloody hungry and decided to stop and eat at a place on the corner. “La Borsa” I had a pizza and a coke and it came to 23 euros....yes 23 euros for a pizza (that wasn’t even big) and a coke. After finishing this I wondered the streets and piazzas some more before I started to feel my tiredness taking over. I got a cab (with a relatively sane driver) back to Porta al Prato and rested. 




 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Were Never Really There

Yet another January has found us. The first term of my second year at BU has all but ended. What’s changed ? I now find myself in unfamiliar territory. I’m now in a position where I’ve realised my cynicism towards people and life is a finely balanced one with my love for life’s mysteries.   Depression, my old friend, never far away has visited me once again, it always will. Like a spectre that follows you to the grave, it’ll sometimes be less prevalent. Strange dreams dominate the little sleep I get anymore, January is a brutal reminder to me of the pain and failures I’ve been through.  Towards the end of November 2018 I was with a someone who seemed to be really into me, much to my continued bewilderment. I’ve never believed anyone within their right mind ever would want to be with me.  These thoughts are not born into me. These thoughts are developed from years of belittlement from various people in my life. The reference to my Asperger’s and that I am not normal. This means th

Conversation 16

Articulating exactly how it is you feel is something that really is one of the most difficult and challenging aspects of life.  You don’t like to worry those you love or people connected with you. The crippling self doubt doesn’t allow you to feel worth remembering or being upset about. The looks you get from peers or colleagues, the looks that make you feel so small, so different, so unwanted in the same universe. Then comes the battle between my thoughts and my logical brain, am I just paranoid? Am I really that self centred, that I think everyone is looking at me in a contemptuous manner ? Am I really that self obsessed and yet so self doubting?  In the past few weeks upon returning from Barcelona I’ve never felt so alien and alone. I’ve spiralled into a depression that I haven’t felt for 16 months. I don’t like to talk openly about these things unless necessary, I don’t like to talk to people about it, I don’t like to try and feel as if my problems are any more different than th

Life Stuff; Exams and A brief return to Music Journalism

As the Christmas holidays drew to a close, the prospect of a return to university was dawning on me. What next ? What now ? Why does Christmas always go so fast ?  With an assignment still to do and an exam coming up it was clear that the festive period was now over. My fellow students on my course were readying themselves leaving home once again while I, already at home, was readying myself to work. The cold dark January days has begun, the post Christmas blues and memories that once seemed recent were now even more faded. A memory would Flicker, an image of yourself and someone who you once loved on an old bridge in a beautiful old Italian city, at the height of summer, “it doesn’t look real does it?” I recall her saying to me with a gaze of her big gorgeous blue eyes, a wave of her chestnut hair blowing gently in the Tuscan wind, myself barely able to believe that I was really in this moment, with this person, at this time. A flicker. It would pass, fade back to A cold January eveni